We're Hiring! Principal
Part-time (50-80% FTE). Full-time considered for compelling candidates. Remote position located in Washington DC, New York or Boston. Other locations considered for compelling candidates.Some travel required.
Why Work with Us
We believe in creating a more just and caring world and bringing the full talents of our society to bear on the pressing challenges we face as a country, as a global community. We know that increasing the performance of people increases the performance of organizations. As a nonprofit ourselves, we partner with mission-driven organizations to uncover and resolve barriers to success in culture, leadership and talent systems. We help our clients transform beliefs, behaviors, systems, policies and practices that keep their staff from sharing their best talents and effort. In our work we listen, build relationships, facilitate essential conversations, and generate alignment that drives decisions, mobilizes resources, and enables leadership at all levels. As a thought leader, we adopt, hone and promote practices from the corporate sector, as well as create and share innovative solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients.
We care about our clients and are passionate about their missions. We thrive on trust and collaboration, on agility and flexibility, and on energy and innovation. We share our responsibilities, successes, and failures alike. We team well, look out for one another and carry a deep mutual respect for each other and the lives each of us leads within and outside of AchieveMission. Our team is the vibrant heart of our work. Each individual’s growth is critical to our continued success. We don’t just train our clients on informal feedback – we live it – aiming for continuous learning through both our mistakes and triumphs. Every day you’ll finding us talking about what we learned, what we can do better and successes to celebrate. Our culture rests on the belief that we all have something important to contribute, a voice to be heard. It’s not always easy but we work hard to thoughtfully and respectfully say what we mean, mean what we say, and then, do what we say. We believe that diversity and inclusion are drivers of success. Which leads us to...
Our Commitment to Diversity
Promoting social change is complex and dynamic work. We believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us stronger at the individual, organizational and societal levels. We work to address the institutional, cultural and structural oppression, aided by unconscious bias that prevents the realization of a just and equitable world. This requires understanding history, the problems organizations face, the environment they operate in and the impact of all of this on constituents. For this reason, we actively recruit team members from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives. Read more about what we believe here.
About the Role
This role helps shape who we are as an organization and is responsible for business development. This role will integrate a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion lens in every aspect of practice, including individual assumptions and the design, management and execution of tailored consulting projects that help our clients pursue their missions more effectively. Ways of working include building strong external relationships with sector influencers and client prospects, exercising leadership on the team overall, guiding internal project teams to deliver high impact work, serving as coach and thought partner to senior leaders, and managing consulting relationships as you mitigate risks and resolve issues. You will, as a member of our national team, contribute to our knowledge agenda, and represent AchieveMission in public settings. You will oversee teams of two to four people on client projects, usually several at once.
- Business Development
- Contribute directly to Achieve mission's revenue by leading sales pursuits with own network of nonprofits and foundations and building new relationships in the sector
- Thought Leadership
- Identify creative opportunities - new models or approaches - to evolve our services
- Contribute to continuous learning efforts through evaluation, reflection and analysis leading to refinement and codification of our methods and materials
- Manage and deliver consulting services to great clients, ensuring impact and client satisfaction while bringing projects in on time and on budget
- Personally coach senior and mid-level client leaders to successfully implement recommendations
- Internal Growth and Infrastructure
- Develop AchieveMission staff, particularly Consultants and Associates
- Support and help lead AchieveMission’s business operations (for example, marketing, internal HR, staffing, utilization)
What We Look For
We seek motivated team members with diverse perspectives and experiences such as:
- Passion: You have a strong desire to do work that matters and to make a contribution to addressing our society’s thorniest problems
- People smarts: You have great interpersonal skills and enjoy building relationships. You quickly develop rapport, earn the respect and trust of others, build consensus, and guide our clients to act on decisions and recommendations.
- Intellectual Curiosity and Reflective Learner: You love to learn and are willing to consistently reflect on your practice and edges for growth.
- Cultural Humility: You successfully engage and partner with AchieveMission’s diverse clients and have a deep understanding of social issues and the nonprofit sector.
- Candid, vocal and honest: You are a first-rate communicator and thoughtful listener. You lead difficult conversations to successful conclusions.
- Flexible and Nimble: You manage a wide range of projects, team members and stakeholders effectively and adapt projects as work evolves.
- Independent and determined: You work well on a virtual team. You take initiative, have a “get it done” approach and follow through. You know when to reach out for help.
- Technical Expertise: You really know what you are talking about, have done it in real life and can lead others in at least three of the following: talent management, organizational effectiveness, diversity-equity-inclusion, organizational development, sales, leadership development, strategy or search. You are fluent in adaptive or other leadership and analytic frameworks.
- Professional Experience: You have 20+ years of work in the nonprofit sector, in consulting and/or leadership roles, within organizations undergoing significant growth or change. As a result, you bring a strong nonprofit network with you.
- Education: You hold a BA; an MA and/or certifications in coaching/other trainings is preferred.
- Tell us why you would be a great addition to our team and how your experience matches our needs in your cover letter.
- Let us know how you heard about this job.
- We want to see your resume too.
- Email your resume and cover letter as a single PDF file to Edith Buhs at email@example.com.
- Include “Principal” in the email subject line.
Intrigued? We want to hear from you! Apply Now!
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals applying for jobs are treated without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteranstatus, and that all are given every opportunity to succeed. So, let us hear from you!